Alytus county

Anglų rašiniai
Rašinys
 5
Microsoft Word 27 KB
1 puslapis

Alytus rašinys. Alytus rašinys.

Alytus County

The City with an area of 3,350 hectares has 77,000 inhabitans, 96% of whom are Lithuanian, 2% Russian, 0.7%Polish, and 0.3%Byelorussian. The city overlaps both banks of the Nemunas River. It is also between two busy thoroughfares, the Kaunas-Grodno, and the Kaišiadorys- Grodno Highways.
Unquestionably, the economic and cultural center of Dzūkija, Alytus also holds the postion as one of the biggest industrial centers of Lithuania.
A XIV c. wooden castle, an important defense fortress against the onslaughts of the Teutonic Order, was strategically situated on the right bank of Nemunas. Alytus was first officially documented in 1387. A township was initially founded on the right bank of Nemunas, but it spread over to the left bank in the end of the XVc. The City was graced by its first wooden church in 1524, and Magdeburg Rights were granted in 1581. A famous trading post and crafts production center during the first half of the XVII c.,decline of the thriving City began following the devastating wars in the middle of the century.
Following the fall of the Lithuania-Poland Commonwealth, the City districts on the right side of the River came under Russian rule, and on the left side, Prussian rule. In 1815, the Prussian side also came under Russian rule, to the Kingdom of Poland administrative unit. Although Alytus did grow in the XIX c., following the Rebellion of 1831, City Rights were withdrawn. At the end of the century, the City had...